Translate

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Westinghouse says "The Future's So Bright, I gotta wear Shades"




Last month I did a really fun and playful photo shoot for Westinghouse at the Saint Regis 5 star resort in Dana Point, CA. The shoot was for a stop-motion animation set to the song “The future’s so bright, I gotta wear shades”. I thought they were just being cheerful and trying to encourage their employees in a bad economy, however, the executives told me that over 40 countries has asked Westinghouse to bid on building nuclear power plants. It is now considered one of the safest forms of energy, with little impact on global warming, and Westinghouse is a leader in the field. Westinghouse is looking at making billions of dollars in the power plant field in the next 10 years. The people appearing in the pictures are Westinghouse executives and board members, the former CEO, vice presidents, etc. I thought my job was cut out for me to try to get these guys to do playful, fun images, but I was surprised! They had a great time, and quickly got in the mood. I could not ask for a more beautiful setting then the Saint Regis Hotel and Resort in Dana Point. This lush, amazing location has a private beach, golf course, fountains, 3 story waterfalls, Greek columns, huge swimming pool, and tropical plants throughout the 200 acre spacious grounds. The Westinghouse executives were checking out the resort for a sales event they are planning in February 2009. The style of photography was particularly fun, creating stop motion animation with the movement of the executives. I would ask a group of them to move their heads to the right, then to the left, then raise their right arm, then left, then crouch down, then stand up. It was a photographic game of “Simon Says”, and we were able to be creative by letting our inner child take control of the shoot. The end result will be an animation that combines video of a rock band playing the song with the same executives in the audience, text of the words of the song appearing on “green screen” boards that I had the executives hold up, and my photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment